In this Issue
I once offered to cut off my arm in exchange for a tour of an illegal noodle-making operation.
I reached this peak of desperation in 2007 while on assignment in the southern port of Xiamen, where I was trying to capture the clandestine nature of China’s countless unregulated manufacturers.
1. Let us govern those who undertake the telling of stories.
2. Censorship is good governance. Self-censorship is an attribute of the highest civilization.
3. If an actor speaks of God, he will be chastised. He will be refused an encore. If he repeats the speech, he will have his licence revoked.
4. Let us govern those who undertake praise of the next world, since what they say is neither true nor useful to us.
5. Our best recourse is to be warlike.
(Click the title for more...)